Fun facts about winter squash:
- Winter squash is different from summer squash. Winter squash has thicker skin and the seeds have to be removed- like butternut squash, acorn squash, pumpkins, and spaghetti squash. Summer squash has thinner skin and the seeds are eaten with the fruit- like cucumbers, zucchini, and yellow squash.
- Winter squash is actually a fruit! Any edible plant that has seeds on the inside is a fruit!
- Winter squash is called winter squash because of its thick skin, it grows longer into the fall and can withstand colder weather
- Butternut squash seeds can be eaten just like pumpkin seeds
- Pumpkins are used for decorations and for food! Sugar pumpkins are specifically grown to be eaten!
- Acorn squash was first grown by Native Americans and its part of their “Succotash” or Three Sisters (corn, beans, and squash)
- Spaghetti squash got its name because of the way it falls apart like spaghetti noodles when it's roasted!