Welcome to our SUPER Second Grade!
We are very excited that you will be joining us this year to become SUPER Learners! Our SUPER classes will take a safari and explore animals and habitats. We will learn about communities, travel to the Moon, and look at folklore and traditions from around the world. We will work with three digit addition and subtraction, measurement, data, multiplication and division. Our SUPER Learners will also work with STEM or science, solving problems, working with experiments, and practice being engineers.
So, enjoy your Labor Day weekend! Take lots of time to read and be ready to put on your superhero capes this fall! We can't wait to fly through Second Grade with you!
Mrs. Brai, Ms. DiMaio and Miss Scinto
Personal Webpage Links:
Second Grade Weekly News: (We will post weekly information to keep families up to date with all that is happening with our SUPER Second Graders!)
Week of September 17, 2018 We will be starting Homework for Second Graders this week. Please watch for a packet to come home on Monday.
This week students will be continuing their work with community, leadership, and citizenship in Humanities. The focus project this week will involve creating a map for their country. In Math, students will be be assessed on their use of Grade 1 strategies to fluently add and subtract within 20. We will begin our STEM/Science hands on activities as we learn about being an engineer.
We have an early lunch schedule this year. Students will be having a short working healthy snack in the afternoon to maintain strong minds and bodies throughout the day. Snack options could include a piece of fruit or cut vegetables, crackers, or pretzels. We will be sending home a letter with some suggestions and additional information. If you have any questions, please contact your classroom teacher. (Please do not send in any snacks with nuts or nut-butters.)
We can't wait to see all of our SUPER Second Graders on Monday morning!
~The Second Grade Team
Second Grade Homework:
Students in Grade 2 will begin HW starting on Monday September 17, 2018. We will adjust expectations to support the shortened amount of time students will have to complete before the end of the month. Hard copies will be sent out on Monday and are attached to our Webpage to support all families. Please choose one of the STEM Family activity choices - this month we have an option to build a bridge or create your own invention.
If you have any questions, please contact your child's teacher.
~The Second Grade Team
Second Grade Links and Websites to Support Learning:
- https://www.ixl.com/ela/grade-2 This site will allow a limited number of activities for free daily per computer or Chromebook.
- https://www.education.com/game/bossy-r-words-spelling/ This site has a game approach to practice r-controlled vowels.
- http://more2.starfall.com/n/sorting/r-controlled/load.htm?f This link provides practice for r-controlled vowels.
- Vowel Team Practice This link will practice vowel team pairs. "When two vowels go walking.." http://www.starfall.com/n/make-a-word/two-vowels/load.htm?f
- Vowel Team Practice This link will practice vowel teams. https:www.education.com/game/vowel-team-spelling/
- Coconut Vowels This link will provide vowel team practice. http://www.arcademics.com/games/coconuts/coconuts.html
- Long Vowel Game This link will provide long vowel practice. https://www.turtlediary.com/game/long-vowels.html
- Short Vowel Practice This link will provide short vowel practice. https://www.turtlediary.com/game/short-vowels.html
- sentence Unscramble This link will provide sentence structure practice. https://www.turtlediary.com/game/sentence-unscramble-second-grade.html
- Punctuation Mystery This link will provide punctuation practice. Can you solve the mystery? https://www.turtlediary.com/game/punctuation-mystery.html
- Simple Sentence Practice This link will provide simple sentence practice. https://www.turtlediary.com/game/simple-sentences-second-grade.html
- RAZ Kids https://www.raz-kids.com/
- Lexia Core 5 http://www.lexiacore5.com/
- Starfall Click this link for reading practice made....FUN!! http://www.starfall.com/n/level-b/index/play.htm?f
- Storyline - Online Storytelling This link will access online stories shared by famous guest readers. Check back often to see if one of your favorite stories has been added to the selections. http://www.storylineonline.net/
- Online Dictionary Search for definitions to your spelling and vocabulary words.... http://www.wordcentral.com/home.html
- ep-storytown Click this link to access practice activities to support grammar, Bossy "R," vowels, verbs, and spelling skills....https://ep-storytown.wikispaces.com/2nd_Grade
- Inventors and Innovators http://mrnussbaum.com/inventors-and-innovatorsInventors and Innovators http://www.ducksters.com/biography/scientists/scientists_and_inventors.php
- IXL Social Studies This site allows for a limited number of activities for free daily per computer or Chromebook. https://www.ixl.com/social-studies/grade-2
- http://teacher.scholastic.com/researchtools/articlearchives/uspres/index.htm This link will take you to a Scholastic site to research information about the presidents.
- http://www.aaastudy.com/grade2.htm This site is a great place to practice your math skills!
- Math Activities This site will provide practice activities for our Growing with Mathematics program. Thank you to the Redding Elementary School that has been able to provide this excellent resource! http://reddingelementaryps.org/grade%202%20math%20resources.html#Topic1
- https://www.mathplayground.com/ Math problem solving, games, and puzzles the entire family will enjoy.
- https://www.prodigygame.com/dashboard/#classes Math games
- http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/vlibrary.html National Library of Virtual Manipulatives
- Super Croc This link will provide additional information about Super Croc to share with your families... http://www.supercroc.org/supercroc/
Grade 2 Specials Schedules:
- Monday: Music
- Tuesday: Media
- Wednesday: P.E.
- Thursday: P.E.
- Friday: Art & Media
- Monday: No Specials
- Tuesday: Music
- Wednesday: P.E.
- Thursday: Media & P.E.
- Friday: Art & Media
- Monday: P.E.
- Tuesday: No Specials
- Wednesday: Music & Media
- Thursday: Art & Media
- Friday: P.E.
September Homework Links:
1. Super Reading Log
2. MatH Calendar
3. STEM Family Projects
(See attached below.)